Welcome again folks to our SYO weekly blog post! Here in South Yarra we are in the heart of the beautiful concrete jungle of Melbourne’s inner city. While there are different cuisines to choose from for every meal in any week, we are often unfortunately confined to choosing the same road or mode of transport to commute on any given day.
This predicament forces constant traffic congestion, parking difficulties, tram strikes, and an onslaught of angry drivers. As we fast approach the holiday period, you can expect the coming weeks to be even more stressful on the roads, and of course – car parks. This means that people are rushing, stressed, and time poor, all combining to prove a disaster waiting to happen!
Here are my top 5 tips for the lead up to the holiday period:
- Conscious breathing while sitting in your car: 4 second in, 4 seconds hold, 4 seconds out, 4 seconds hold. I call this “box breathing”, and it’s the fastest way to regain your sense of calm in your car.
- Read parking signs correctly. The last thing you need right now is a parking infringement!
- Park further away on purpose! - as to both decrease your stress in finding a spot, as well as increase your incidental exercise time.
- Schedule in more time for low intensity cardio - which is a great way to lower your stress levels.
- Allow extra time for travel. It sounds simple, but this ONE THING ALONE can decrease your stress for the entire day!
So there you have it, the raw truth.
Don’t make excuses, just make space.
Yours in health,